- 2 (4 pound) whole chickens, cut up
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup prepared mustard
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 hamburger buns
- 3 cups prepared coleslaw (optional)
- Place chicken in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until chicken comes off the bone easily, about 3 hours. Make sauce while the chicken cooks.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, garlic, honey, steak sauce, lemon juice, and liquid smoke. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Set aside to allow flavors to mingle.
- When the chicken is done, remove all meat from the bones, and chop or shred into small pieces. Place in a pan with the sauce, and cook for about 15 minutes to let the flavor of the sauce soak into the chicken. Spoon barbequed chicken onto buns, and top with coleslaw if you like.